Monday, September 7, 2009

Frozen Yogurt Versus Ice Cream

Pinkberry, heralded by the LA Times as "the taste that launched 1,000 parking tickets," is a frozen yogurt chain that started in West Hollywood less than five years ago. Ever since living in LA, I've realized that frozen yogurt really is a part of the culture here. While some don't enjoy the tangy, fresh yogurt flavor, Pinkberry, and now the increasingly popular Yogurtland, has an almost cult-like following. And I'm a part of it. I thought about Pinkberry every single day I was in Boston (I just researched, and it's only available in California, New York, and Kuwait (???). I even tried some Mango Berry thing once, but it just didn't compare. I really can't get enough of it, despite its $5 price tag for a medium with three toppings.

Many claim that it's super healthy; it even has the National Yogurt Association's Seal of Approval. Still, though, the second ingredient after non-fat milk is sugar...let's not kid ourselves here.

But just look at it! It's such a beautiful concoction and you can't beat the fresh ingredients.

Yesterday Conor and I went out with some of his college friends. After a delicious tuna burger, everyone wanted something sweet. We went to a popular LA place by the name of Milk--great treats, HORRIBLE customer service. I ordered a brownie sundae (again, still working on my choices). And I kid you not, all I really wanted was some frozen yogurt! Of course, I still ate the brownie sundae, but I truly would have preferred the frozen yogurt. And no, I am not making this up. It just tastes light and natural, and I never feel weighed down and heavy after eating it. Frozen yogurt also makes me feel satisfied, but without that heavy I-ate-too-much-sugar feeling. For all of you skeptics out there, I really encourage you to try replacing the ice cream with frozen yogurt for a while. You just might get hooked.

So from now on, I really am going to eliminate ice cream from my life. I don't know if I can completely eliminate sugar just yet, but the ice cream can go. From here on out, no more ice cream. I'll take my Pinkberry instead.

3 comments:

  1. I love Pinkberry, too! Every time Adam and I are in New York, we get it - I insist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. me, too!! that's one of the reasons I miss having Emma in NYC. Pinkberry is the only frozen treat I even like anymore. Wish they were here!!

    ReplyDelete