Monday, August 10, 2009

D-Day


So, what does this Detox even entail? Like I said before, Gwenyth's plan, created by Dr. Alejandro Junger, seems quite reasonable. There are always three meals and two small snacks (granted, these snacks are coconut water and small handfuls of nuts, but snacks nonetheless). You are supposed to eat whole organic foods, and there can be no dairy, grains with gluten, shellfish, anything processed (including soy products), fatty nuts, potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, condiments, sugar, alcohol, caffeine or soda.


Day 1 of Detox is officially over, or at least I've consumed all of the food for today. Do I feel light and cleansed yet? Definitely not. But it wasn't bad at all! If anything, I had a pretty good time chopping up all the vegetables while listening to the new reggaeton radio station I found. The only time I was hungry was the morning since you are supposed to wait two hours before drinking the Blueberry Almond Smoothie. Instead of eating right away like I usually do, I drank some lemon water, waited an hour, drank some herbal tea, and then waited another hour.


For the most part, the food is pretty tasty. My favorite was the morning smoothie, which I'll be having almost every day. It involves 1 1/2 cups of almond milk, 1/2 cup of blueberries, a scoop of whey protein powder, and a scoop of the probiotic greens. As I said yesterday, I was suspicious of the green powder but it was REALLY good! The smoothie smelled a bit odd, but tasted like health in a glass. In fact, I could see drinking it instead of my strawberry/chocolate protein shake.

In contrast, this broccoli and arugula soup that I just had for dinner wasn't exactly enjoyable. It wasn't bad, and, as you can see, it had a lovely, rich color, but I'm not a big fan of pureed broccoli and arugula with only a bit of lemon and salt. I would never eat this in real life and am NOT looking forward to eating it again. But maybe I just wasn't hungry enough?

Luckily, lunch was delicious and satisfying. Salad with avocado and red onion with carrot and ginger dressing. I loved it! I must say that the dressing, albeit fantastic, looked like vomit (just being honest!).


I've got to say that perhaps the hardest thing is giving up gum. Maybe it's because there were so many onions in the salad, but I felt like my body was emanating onions. I was about to eat a piece of Orbit Bubblemint, but then I looked at the chemicals and realized that it will sadly no longer be a part of my life. Yikes, that may be harder than diet coke.


I also worked out today for the first time in months. Well, I had "worked out" a bit over the summer, but I wouldn't call any of my summer sessions legitimate workouts. Let's just say that it was VERY noticeable; Josh (trainer) says that it will take at least four weeks of hard training to get back to where I was. Depressing. Surprisingly, I only gained two pounds at Explo, but perhaps it was because I lost muscle tone? Who knows.


All I can say is I'm glad I'm detoxing. In a strange way, I think my body was craving it. We'll see how I feel tomorrow....

1 comment:

  1. Gina,
    I'm proud of you. It's not easy to de-tox. I've tried a couple of different ways including the spring water, lemon, cayenne thing a number of times. It all feels good to cleanse out all the guk! You're an inspiration. I could use a de-tox about now!I've used that saying "shop the walls" at the market for years (when you're past the de-tox). That seems to simplify a bit. Yea! for Gina. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete