Friday, August 14, 2009

The Detox Has Died

Sad, but true: my love-hate relationship with Gwyneth's Detox Plan has officially ended. Three days early. It all started yesterday afternoon when I was creating the juice below.


Beautiful color, yes? And it was quite tasty (1/2 cup of basil, 1 English Cucumber, 1 apple, 1 lime on ice). Gwyneth may have been correct in dubbing it the "detox friendly mojito,"and I will probably make it again. But as I was shoving all the ingredients through the juicer, I kept thinking about how all I really wanted was an apple with my beloved natural peanut butter.


A couple of hours later, I went to a concert with my friend Natalia, who ingeniously called Gwyneth a "Wactress," (you know, wacky/actress). During our outing, I kept thinking about how I wanted a sandwich. No frozen yogurt, no chocolate, no chips, no junk. Just a turkey sandwich with sprouts! Then as I was going to bed, I was looking at one of my Moosewood cookbooks and craving all of these healthy items. It was at this time that I was 90% sure it was time to end the fast.


The deciding point, however, was this morning when I weighed myself. In four short days, I had already lost four pounds. While I'm not complaining, I also know that this weight loss is probably only temporary and that it's never good to lose so much weight in such a short period of time. In addition, I was reading about how Jillian Michaels from The Biggest Loser (LOVE her) says that detox diets generally slow your metabolism. Even though Gwyneth's detox still provided more than 1,000 calories a day on average, a slower metabolism is not what I'm looking for.


SO, I had a bowl of oatmeal and a protein shake with strawberries for breakfast this morning. It was amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment