Thursday, August 20, 2009

Killing for a Chemical Lift

For one of the first times since I started this non-chemical existence, I am currently fighting a serious craving for a Diet Coke. Well, I've been partial to Coke Zero ever since it hit the market, but anything would do at this point. It all started when I was having lunch at one of my favorite Greek restaurants. Nothing washes hummus and spinach and feta down like a diet soda (or a beer, but I've already had my beer of the week). That was hours ago, and I still want one. The long list of chemicals on the can is holding me back, though. As are the articles I've read calling it "Diet Crack," and the scientists who say it only makes the brain crave more sugar.

Mmmmm. Still....chemicals and all, I keep fantasizing. I can practically feel the cold can. You know how it sweats a little when it's out of the fridge and it's hot outside? I wonder if it would taste as good as I'm imagining. And I can tell you, this purified water from the Brita just isn't the same, no matter what the purists say.

I'm going to a beach concert tonight and we're going to stop at Trader Joe's to get some food for a picnic. I guess some Pellegrino will have to do, but oh how I would kill for a Coke Zero. This is harder than I thought it would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment